- Sheriff's Office
- Emergency Management Division
- Pandemic Flu Plan
Pandemic Flu Plan
What This Means
Pandemic usually applies to world-wide spread. It has no bearing on seriousness of the disease or its subsequent death rate.
You can prepare for an influenza pandemic now. You should know both the magnitude of what can happen during a pandemic outbreak and what actions you can take to help lessen the impact of an influenza pandemic on you and your family. This checklist will help you gather the information and resources you may need in case of a flu pandemic.
Source: Center for Disease Control
PreparingTo plan for a pandemic:
- Store a supply of water and food. During a pandemic, if you cannot get to a store, or if stores are out of supplies, it will be important for you to have extra supplies on hand. This can be useful in other types of emergencies, such as power outages and disasters.
- Have any nonprescription drugs and other health supplies on hand, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, fluids with electrolytes, and vitamins.
- Talk with family members and loved ones about how they would be cared for if they got sick, or what will be needed to care for them in your home.
- Volunteer with local groups to prepare and assist with emergency response.
- Get involved in your community as it works to prepare for an influenza pandemic.
Avoid Spreading GermsTo limit the spread of germs and prevent infection:
- Teach your children to wash hands frequently with soap and water, and model the correct behavior.
- Teach your children to cover coughs and sneezes with tissues, and be sure to model that behavior.
- Teach your children to stay away from others as much as possible if they are sick. Stay home from work and school if sick.
Emergency Kit ItemsItems to have on hand for an extended stay at home:
Food and Non-Perishables
- Baby food and formula
- Bottled water
- Canned juices
- Dried fruit
- Dry cereal or granola
- Peanut butter or nuts
- Pet Food
- Protein or fruit bars
- Ready-to-eat canned meats, and soups
Medical, Health & Emergency Supplies
- Acetaminophen or ibuprofen
- Anti-diarrhea medication
- Cleansing agent/soap
- Fluids with electrolytes
- Garbage bags
- Manual can opener
- Portable radio
- Prescribed medical
- Soap and water, or alcohol-based hand wash
- Tissues, toilet paper, disposable diapers