- Health & Human Services
- Adult Mental Health
- Submit a Referral
Submit a Referral
When to Make a Referral
Mental health referrals tend to come from individuals, families, friends, therapists, treatment centers and hospitals.
For purposes of case management and community support services, a "person with serious and persistent mental illness" means an adult who has a mental illness and meets at least one of the following criteria:
- The adult has undergone two or more episodes of inpatient care for a mental illness within the preceding 24 months.
- The adult has experienced a continuous psychiatric hospitalization or residential treatment exceeding six months duration within the preceding 12 months.
- The adult has been treated by a crisis team two or more times with the preceding 24 months.
- The adult:
- Has a diagnosis of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depression, or borderline personality disorder
- Indicates a significant impairment in functioning
- Has a written opinion from a mental health professional in the last three years, stating that the adult is reasonably likely to have future episodes requiring inpatient or residential treatment, of a frequency described in clause (1) or (2), unless ongoing case management or community support services are provided
- The adult has, in the last three years, been committed by a court as a person who is mentally ill, or the adult's commitment has been stayed or continued; or
- The adult
- Was eligible under clauses (1) to (5) but the specified time period has expired or the adult was eligible as a child and
- Has a written opinion from a mental health professional in the last three years, stating that the adult is reasonably likely to have future episodes requiring inpatient or residential treatment, of a frequency described in (1) or (2) unless ongoing case management or community support services are provided
How to Make a ReferralNecessary information needed for a referral:
- Diagnostic Assessment that is less than 6 months old
- Functional Assessment
- Intake Form (PDF) filled out completely
Referrals need to be submitted to the Intake Social Worker by calling 218-327-2941 or 1-800-422-0312. You may fax forms to 218-327-5535.